- ½ cup moong dhal
- 1 cup water
- Spinach leaves, 10 to 15 full-sized leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 hot green chilies, slit down the middle
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 5 fresh curry leaves (optional; available at Indian grocery stores)
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
Combine the dhal, water, spinach, onion, tomato, green chilies, turmeric powder, and salt.
Bring to a boil and simmer until the dhal is soft, adding additional water if necessary and put aside.
In another saucepan heat the vegetable oil. Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves (if using) till the mustard seeds splatter and add garlic. Fry for a couple minutes.
Add the dhal mixture. Bring to a boil and let it simmer on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Garnish with the cilantro and serve hot with naan or rice.