By Pratibha Bhurke, Social Development Coordinator, MarketPlace – Mumbai
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Grind to a paste in a mortar & pestle or processor the following:
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh green chilis
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro (coriander greens)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 250 grams (1/2 lb.) chicken, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon – cumin (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste)
In a medium size saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons oil over low heat.
Add to the hot oil the ginger, garlic, green chili, and coriander paste. Cook it over a low heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the turmeric powder and mix it well.
Add chicken pieces to pan. Add water, cover with a lid, and cook for five minutes
After 5 minutes add the cumin, black pepper and chopped tomato. Mix well.
Cover the pan again and cook it for 20-25 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt as needed.
Once ready, serve the chicken pieces with the sauce covering them. Eat with bread or nan.