One of the things that Indians can’t do without is “chaat.” Chaat is usually a sweet, spicy and sour snack. There are many kinds of chaat- pani puri, papri chaat, aloo chaat, etc. Aloo tikki with imli ki chutney (or tamarind chutney) is a north Indian favorite when it comes to chaat. Here’s a simple recipe that you can be proud to serve in your home!
Aloo Tikki Recipe:
1 cup boiled potatoes
1/2 cup boiled green peas
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
oil for cooking
1. Mash the potatoes.
2. Mash the green peas.
3. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
4. Divide the mixture into 8 equal balls. Flatten the balls with your palms to make flat
5. Heat some oil on a non-stick pan on medium flame. Add the cumin seeds to the hot oil.
Place each tikki on the pan and cook till both sides are golden brown.
6. Place the tikkis on absorbent paper and serve hot with tamarind chutney.
Tamarind Chutney Recipe:
1 cup tamarind paste
6 tbsp jaggery powder (or you can use 6 tbsp dark brown sugar+2 tsp molasses)
1 tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
1/2 tsp black salt/ regular salt
1 tsp dried ginger powder
1 tsp garam masala (optional)
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1. Add 2 cups of water to the tamarind.
2. Bring to boil for 10 min.
3. Add roasted cumin powder, black salt/salt, dry ginger powder, red chili powder,
garam masala and jaggery/ sugar.
4. Boil for about 10 minutes.
Serve the tikkis hot. Pour about 1 tbsp chutney on each tikki and add some chopped onions and cilantro as garnish.